Friday, September 26, 2008

I drank Bath water

So, first off I must apologize... I had every intention of doing daily posts that were full of detail and description to convey the feeling of the city and the traveler in it (myself) but alas the city has taken it's toll on me and by the end of the day it's all I can do to get ready for bed, let alone try and remember all the things I did that day or God forbid the day before.

Anyway, that said, now I'm going to reach back three days into the past and bring you up to the present.

Wednesday:
We had big plans this day but unfortunately got a late start due to a couple errands. Anyway we made it to Tower of London and were given a great tour by one of the resident Beefeaters. We also got to check out the crown jewels twice in fact. That night we went to this awesome play in Covant Garden called "The Women in Black" it was a ghost story and was actually scarier than I thought it would be. We both had a lot of fun!

Thursday:
This was the day we leave for Bath, so got up, made it to the train on time, and low and behold someone else killed themselves again today (see Windsor post) on the tracks so again we were delayed. This is 2 times in a row that we were on the train and this happened. So far we've been pretty lucky with the tube not having this issue although I hear it's pretty common on there too. It's pretty sad and must happen pretty often or else Carrie and I just manage to hit two bad days I'm assuming it's the 1st reason since it doesn't even seem big enough of a deal for their media to report on.

Anyway a couple hours after expected we made it to Bath. This town is beautiful, super easy to walk and has a good amount of stuff to do. I also have to say it's a nice break from riding the tube 4 times a day in the city.

I should also mention 2 days before this I started noticing that my depth perception is totally off and that I started feeling like I was constantly on moving ground even when I was completely still. By this day it got really bad and hampered some plans, but we still made the most of it. We tool a city walking tour, checked out the Roman Baths, drank our complementary glass of the Bath spring water (10,000 year old rain water) tastes about as good as you would imagine anything 10,000 years old to taste. We also checked out the Abbey built in the 1700's (?). The night was capped off by having food and a couple pints of cider. I would like to say we slept peacefully that night but we stayed in what had to be the loudest hotel in the city. There was literally a crowd of drunk people outside our window yelling all night.

Friday:

We had a full day to spend in Bath and not a ton of stuff left to do so we got started around 11 and headed to the fashion museum housing clothes from as far back as the 1600's. After we spent the rest of the day shopping wandering through their amazing parks and neighborhoods, and what good trip would be complete without eating... a lot. So now I'm back in London getting ready for our last couple days of which we will try and pack another weeks worth of plans into. Wish us luck!


The White Tower (Tower of London)


Houses built in the 1500's where the Beefeaters live (Tower of London) Lady Jane Gray was kept in one of these before her execution.
The Roman Baths in Bath

The Abbey at Bath

View of Bath from one of the parks.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Did you see rick stees?