Sunday, July 13, 2008

My poor house

So we've been working on the house getting ready to paint the exterior for about a week and a half. We finally started with paint yesterday. I wish I had some I'll have to look around in my photo albums to see if I have some good before pics but here's what's going on now. So, we had to strip the paint off on one of the sides of the house. If that doesn't sound like a big job to you, well, your wrong! :) We started with a paint scrapper and got nowhere. Then went to a heat gun and got nowhere. Then bought paint stripper and were in crazy respirators and chemical resistant gloves in 90 degree weather. Oh and be "we" I mean me and my poor mother. Then we realized that the paint wasn't coming off enough so Jamie rented a pressure washer and got more off. Then we sanded everything. Then I had to fill in gouges in the wood with wood filler and re-caulk everything. Next came priming and finally we started to paint yesterday. To top it off it's been HOT here so ice-cream breaks to Baskin-Robins have been a blessing. It's so nice to see the color going on though, I love it!

The right side of the pic is what it looks like once it's stripped and sanded. The black spots are a spray paint I used to cover rusty nails so the rust wont come through.
We started putting on primer
This is the front after we took of the shutters and sanded a few spots.

2 comments:

Kes said...

OMG, Jen, what a project you have undertaken!
and in such hot weather!


Good job. Keep taking those Baskin Robins breaks,
you have earned it.

Such a nice Mom to help you too!

Kes

CJH in London said...

actually I'm glad now that you didn't wait for me to come back and help. sounds like a pain