Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Happy 4th

Happy 4th to everyone. I've been thinking about what today means the last couple days. I'd say in general I'm not big on nationalism as I feel sometimes we use it as an excuse to treat others poorly or care less about those who aren't Americans. Plus with all of the crap going on in our government at the moment it makes me feel a little less then patriotic.
Then the more I thought about it I realized maybe some pride (and I'm not talking about acting superior) is what we need. Maybe if we took a bit more pride in our country and the ideals that we are supposedly founded on we would stop feeling so disillusioned and helpless and get motivated to make a change.

Just a thought. Hope you all had a fun and safe holiday!

1 comment:

Kes said...

WoW....that was well said.
I used to write letters all the time when I saw an injustice. Now I feel like, "what's the use?"

Now I realize that apathy is what gives strength to those who would like to see all of us become robots instead of active, determined, good citizens!
Kes